For many patients after massive weight loss, excess skin is a constant problem. Aside from being aesthetically unpleasant, these extra folds can get in the way of exercise and other everyday activities. Infections can form under the folds, which can be resistant to antibiotics. Patients desire to be free of this loose skin, especially after all the hard work and determination they put into loosing the weight in the first place. Body contouring procedures included in post-weight loss surgery in Houston can be an answer to some of these problems.
What type of procedures are performed?
The goal of plastic surgery for Houston patietns after massive weight loss is to remove excess skin and fat, and contour areas of the body in an effort to recreate its original shape and balance. The types of procedures performed depend on the nature of the problem areas. Some options include:
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty): Extra skin in the arms can be particular pesky when fitting into certain shirts. Selecting an arm lift allows you to finally feel proportioned again. Scar location with this procedure vary based on anatomy and patient preferences, but is often put in the inside or backside of the arm.
- Breast Lift (Auto-augmentation): Massive weight loss can have a profound effect on the breast, as deflation can have a significant impact on breast shape and size. A lift may partially address this issue by excising excess skin. However, many patients will still have volume deficiencies. Because a breast implant is not usually recommended after massive weight loss, Dr. Mushin offers his Houston, TX patients an Auto-augmentation Mastopexy wherein the patient’s own tissues can be used to add extra volume to a deflated breast. No implant needed!
- Tummy Tuck & Lower Body Lift: The tummy tuck surgery targets weak abdominal muscles and excess skin that often occurs after massive weight loss. An incision is typically placed low along the bikini line to conceal the scarring. Abdominal muscles are tightened and excess skin is trimmed away to create a more toned stomach. This procedure can be done circumferencially in those with excess tissue in the back. If a lower body lift is selected, sometimes tissue in the backside can be used to augment and lift the buttock, as well.
- Liposuction: Liposuction can complement a tummy tuck or treat localized fat deposits in other areas
- Thigh Lift: Thigh skin and fat can be notoriously stubborn. And inner thigh lift addresses the insides of the thighs by removing skin and fat to create a more youthful appearance. An outer thigh lift can often be secondarily achieved through body contouring procedures like lower body.
Can you combine procedures?
Yes, multiple procedures can be performed at once. However, for safety purposes, we typically limit procedures to five hours total if done in an ambulatory setting.
Who is a candidate for these procedures?
Typically, patients are candidates for post-weight loss surgery in Houston if they have lost a large amount of weight and have excess skin that they can’t loose. Patients must be weight stable for three to six months and be nonsmokers. We typically like our patients to meet with a nutritionist to make sure that patients are able to heal well after surgery.
What is the recovery process like?
The length of recovery often varies with the type of procedures performed. In general, the larger the scar, the larger the healing time. Patients undergoing abdominal procedures usually are out of work for two weeks, with return to full activity around six weeks. Compression garments are worn and drains are often placed and left for 1-2 weeks. Recovery for procedures on the extremity can be significantly shorter than abdominal procedures depending on the exact operation. At the time of your consultation, Dr. Mushin will outline your full recovery process.
Choose Us for Your Post-Weight Loss Surgery in Houston
Houston-raised Dr. Oren Paul Mushin is a fully-trained, highly-skilled plastic surgeon whom you can trust with your care. Educated at Duke University, one of the top medical schools in the country, and trained in New York, he brings with him extensive knowledge of cosmetic surgery to Texas. Above all, he is caring with his patients, and meticulous in his approach. If you are considering post-weight loss surgery in Houston, consider calling us to schedule a consultation. We look forward to hearing from you!