Breast augmentation is the most popular plastic surgery procedure across America. The goal of any breast augmentation in Houston is the same: enhance to size of breasts while attempting to correct any preexisting deformities. Many women find that this operation balances their proportions, allows them to fit into their clothes better, and may give them newly-found confidence. Reach out to our office to learn more about your breast surgery options.
What are the options in breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation options often depend on the patient. Amount of breast tissue already present, chest width, overall body size, and patient goals often guide the type and size of the augmentation performed. In general, implant selection can be seen as a convergence of all four of these factors.
There are two general categories of implants available: saline and silicone.
- Saline: Filled with sterile saline, these implants provide uniform shape and firmness. They are oftentimes less expensive, as well. They are the only implant option for patients under 22 years old.
- Silicone: These implants are made from a silicone gel, which feels most similar to breast tissue. These implants may be round or anatomic and come in smooth and textured forms, such as the relatively new “gummy bear” implant.
Incision locations can vary as well and include:
- Inframammary: This incision location is hidden in the crease under your breast. It is arguably the gold-standard in breast augmentation and allows for optimal control of breast contour and implant location.
- Periareolar: This incision is placed around the areola. When well-healed, the scar can appear hidden in the transition between the skin and areola.
- Transaxillary: This incision is placed in the arm-pit, away from the breast, but may be noticeable in some arm-less shirts.
One relatively newer option in breast augmentation in Houston is fat-grafting, which involves removing fat from your body, often in problem areas, and the injecting that fat into your breasts. Unlike implant-based operations, no synthetic material is placed in your body, only your own fat. This option is not for all women, however. Those desiring subtle changes, and those who accept the chance of needing more than one operation are good candidates for this type of augmentation.
How long will breast implants last?
Breast implants are engineered to last a long time, though they do not last forever. Some patients may well have their implants for decades while others may need the implant replaced sooner. Some implant manufacturers supply a warranty that under certain circumstances cover costs of implant exchanges.
What is the recovery process like for breast augmentation?
The length of recovery often varies with the type of augmentation performed, and if a lift is done at the same time. At the time of your consultation, Dr. Mushin will outline your recovery process. In general, the process will follow a similar course:
- Day of Procedure: Breast augmentations in Houston generally last for approximately 1-1.5 hours. They are most often performed as outpatient procedures. Depending on the type of surgery, you may have a surgical bra or bandages on your breasts. These should remain in place until removed in the office. You will be given prescription pain medicine for any potential discomfort and antibiotics if a saline or silicone implant was placed.
- Second Day: You will be seen in the office, and your dressings will be changed.
- First Week: You should avoid strenuous activities, slowly easing into lighter activity. Swelling and bruising are common during this period.
- Subsequent Weeks: Most patients have returned to their normal work and activities at the end of the first week. Strenuous activity should be avoided for four to six weeks. Patients will usually see a near-final result by one month, at which point much of the swelling has receded.
Consider a Consultation for Houston Breast Augmentation
Houston-raised Dr. Oren Paul Mushin is a fully-trained, highly-skilled plastic surgeon whom you can trust with your care. Educated at Duke University, one of the top medical schools in the country, and trained in New York, he brings with him extensive knowledge of cosmetic surgery to Texas. Above all, he is caring with his patients, and meticulous in his approach. If you are interested in learning more about breast augmentations in Houston, call us today to make an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you!