When your nose is misshapen, or disproportionate compared to the rest of your face, or perhaps just not the size or shape that you would like, it can significantly impact your quality of life.
Correcting nasal deformities is a delicate process, whether surgery is undertaken for cosmetic purposes, or reconstruction after an injury or defect. Dr. Mushin brings his patients a tailored approach to every rhinoplasty in Houston he performs. Whether you are having facial surgery to improve your breathing or help your appearance, we will help you reach your goals!
Am I candidate for a Rhinoplasty (nose job)?
There are many reasons why our Houston patients choose to get a Rhinoplasty. Some common reasons include:
- You have a large or disproportionately-sized nose
- You have a wide nose or have a “hump”
- Your nose is slanted in one direction
- You have a drooping nasal tip
- Your nostrils are wide or flared
- You have problems with breathing out of your nose
Depending on your needs, repositioning your septum, reshaping your bones, and molding your nasal tip may be necessary. These modifications often depend on the exact shape of your face and nose. Dr. Mushin has experience with many techniques, and applies his extensive knowledge to his patients in Houston.
What’s included in the procedure?
Rhinoplasties in Houston are generally performed under general anesthesia or with IV sedation. Generally, most patients can go home the same day, though some patients may need or opt for an overnight stay. An incision is generally made under and inside the nose, in areas that will be minimally visible. Depending on your needs, Dr. Mushin may take some cartilage from your septum to help straighten it out, and to mold your nose. After the surgery, you may have a splint and packing to help support your nose as it heals.
What is the recovery process like?
The length of recovery often varies with the type of rhinoplasty performed. At the time of your consultation, Dr. Mushin will outline your recovery process. In general, the process will follow a similar course:
- Day of Procedure: You will likely have a splint on your nose and packing inside your nostrils. The packing will remain in place for the first day. Pain and swelling are likely, and you will be prescribed pain medicine to help with discomfort.
- Second Day: You will be seen in the office, and your packing will be removed.
- Subsequent Weeks: Certain activities (for example, pulling tight clothes over your head, blowing your nose, resting glasses/sunglasses on your nose) should be avoided for the first few weeks after your procedure. Swelling usually lasts for 2-3 weeks, after which your final result should start to take shape. Sometimes, it can take up to a year for the nose to achieve its final result.
Consider a Houston Rhinoplasty to Enhance Your Facial Proportions
Houston-raised Dr. Oren Paul Mushin is a fully-trained, highly-skilled plastic surgeon whom you can trust with your care. Educated at Duke University, one of the top medical schools in the country, and trained in New York, he brings with him extensive knowledge of cosmetic surgery to Texas. Above all, he is caring with his patients, and meticulous in his approach. Call us today to make an appointment for a rhinoplasty in Houston. We look forward to hearing from you!