Heavy breasts can be a source of discomfort and pain for many women. If breasts are disproportionate, the added weight can impact exercise, back pain, and self-esteem. Breast reduction surgery in Houston eliminates excess breast tissue, can improve breast size and shape, reduce shoulder and back pain, and reduce areola size. Reach out to learn more about this and the other breast surgeries Dr. Mushin offers.
What are the types of breast reductions?
The type of reduction performed in our Houston surgery center varies with the patient’s breast anatomy. This includes amount of breast tissue present, how much the breasts sag, overall body size, and patient goals. In general, incision options include:
- Vertical popsicle: This incision type runs along the outer border of the areolar and then runs vertically down the breast tissue. This type of incision is often used when there is a moderate amount of breast ptosis (sagging).
- Anchor or Inverted T: This incision runs along the outer border of the areolar, vertically down the breast tissue, and along the crease under the breast. It is often used when there is a moderate to severe amount of breast sagging (ptosis) and allows for removal of the largest amount of breast tissue.
What is the recovery process for breast reduction?
During your consultation, Dr. Mushin will outline your recovery process. In general, the process will follow a similar course:
- Day of Procedure: Breast reductions in Houston generally last approximately 3 hours. They are often performed as outpatient procedures. Depending on the type of surgery, you may have a surgical bra or bandages on your breasts. These should remain in place until removed in the office. You will be given prescription pain medicine for any potential discomfort.
- Second Day: You will be seen in the office, and your dressings will be changed.
- First Week: You should avoid strenuous activities, slowly easing into lighter activity. Swelling and bruising are common during this period.
- Subsequent Weeks: Most patients have returned to their normal work and activities at the end of the second or third week. Strenuous activity should be avoided for four to six weeks. Time to final breast shape will vary with type of operation, but often by four weeks a near-final appearance is apparent. Scars will continue to mature over the course of one year.
Will insurance cover my breast reduction surgery?
Depending on your anatomy, and the type of coverage you have, insurance may cover part or all of your procedure. Come in for a consultation and we’ll determine whether insurance will help cover the cost of the procedure.
Call to Learn More About Houston Breast Reduction Surgery
Houston-raised Dr. Oren Paul Mushin is a fully-trained, highly-skilled plastic surgeon whom you can trust with your care. Educated at Duke University, one of the top medical schools in the country, and trained in New York, he brings with him extensive knowledge of cosmetic surgery to Texas. Above all, he is caring with his patients, and meticulous in his approach. If you are considering a breast reduction surgery in Houston, call us today to make an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you!